TPI-Alignment (and Goals & Strategies)

Home Forums Ongoing Coaching of Team Performance Indicators – Share Your Ideas TPI-Alignment (and Goals & Strategies)

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    Ben
    Participant

CONTEXT: This is a tool to help teams improve their Alignment TPI. It can also support the Goals & Strategies TPI. I’ve used it in conjunction with OKRs. I imagine it could be used in conjunction with other goal-setting methodologies and also on a more one-off basis.

TEAM TYPE: I’ve used this tool with teams comprised of a team leader and their direct reports, although I imagine it could also be adapted for use with other types of teams. Executive teams and other types of cross-functional teams are generally good fits.

PREPARATION: In advance of the session, have the team leader write down 1-5 key goals (e.g. for the quarter) and share them with the rest of the team. Then, have the rest of the team members write their own goals and align them to each of the top-level goals. Once that is complete, create a single page for each top-level goal that shows the top-level goal at the top and all of the second-level goals beneath it (the second-level goals should be organized by team member / function).

DURING THE SESSION: During the session, display one of the pages, and ask the whole team to silently read it and then indicate whether or not they understand and are aligned to how the entire team is going to work together to achieve the top-level goal. If you’d like, you can have them indicate understanding/alignment by setting up a Google Jamboard (or similar tool) with a box in the center that indicates understanding/alignment, asking everyone to create a sticky with their name on it, and asking everyone to move their sticky in or out of the box to indicate their level of understanding/support. If not everyone indicates understanding/alignment, open the floor for discussion. You can support the team by making changes live to the one-pager and/or by capturing action items with owners and timing (or by holding the team accountable for capturing those). Once everyone indicates understanding/alignment, you can move on to the next one-pager.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Shopping Cart