Great by Choice by Jim Collins

Home Forums Favorite Books Great by Choice by Jim Collins

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

I was just discussing this book with another coaching colleague–my favorite Collins book

There are some great concepts in here that provide nice frameworks for building consensus with teams:

•SMaC Recipes (Simple, Methodical, and Consistent): What is the “constitution” that defines the way our team operates?
    •Bullets then Cannon Balls: How do we define and implement reasonable risk-taking
    •Deathlines and “30-mile-march”: Also useful for defining team expectations

Anonymous
    Inactive

Thanks Andy. Think this is a great Jim Collins book too. I had the opportunity to see him speak around 18 months ago or so. I’m sure many others have too. Of many, many take-aways, one lasting one was the importance he places on “who luck”. We often think of luck as being event based. Lucky-break, etc. Jim Collins shared his research into luck and the critical edge being WHO we surround ourselves with, share our missions with, spend our precious time and energy with – mentors, colleagues, experts, friends, etc, etc. Who luck. And his view that we can stack the odds in favour of us getting lucky by being conscious about our WHO. The link to the team system? Who’s on the team? Who is the system choosing to be guided by, influenced by, allied to, serve, sharing leadership with? etc.

And like you, the “30-mile-march”. Great story. Set your goal and take relentlessly consistent action (vs.feast/famine) to reach your target.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Shopping Cart