Positivity – Constructive Interaction / Conflict Opening Continuum

Home Forums Ongoing Coaching of Team Performance Indicators – Share Your Ideas Positivity – Constructive Interaction / Conflict Opening Continuum

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

This simple exercise can be powerful for teams! With the right preparation of statements it can be used to open up conversation around any of the 14 TCI competencies. I am focused on conflict in my practice and so I share with you here some statements I have seen work with teams. Have fun!

Purpose:
    • Having a team see and understand different perspectives on the team. Highlight agreement or disagreement in a fun and physical way.

Supplies:
    • Space to get up and move… Questions/statements appropriate for the discussion

Time:
    • 15-30 minutes depending on the needs of the group

Context:
    • Can be used just about any place in an engagement. Best with a larger than smaller group. Minimum may be 5 people or so….

The Exercise:

1. Introduce that you’d like to get a “feel” for where the group stands on several ideas and topics.
    2. Ask them to stand-up and move to a place where they can get in a line.
    a. This can also be done as a target style where agreement with the statement is in the middle and non-agreement is on the outside of the circle.
    b. This can also be done as a group from a starting position and everyone who feels one way steps forward and everyone who feels another way steps back.
    3. Tell them that you will be making a series of statements and that those who agree completely with the statement should stand on this end here (A) point to it, and those that completely disagree should stand over there on the end (B) point to it. If you’re in between, stand closest to the one that you most agree with.
    4. Ask the first statement. Debrief what you see happening with the group. What’s it like being all alone down there? What has you standing on that side? Make sure to hear the extremes as well as the middle of the road for each statement. Don’t be afraid to dwell and spend some time if it’s a good conversation.
    5. Probe, listen, reframe so everyone can hear it, reflect back, etc….
    6. The juice in this exercise is in the debrief. If you can model excellent listening and curiosity in the first rounds of this, sometimes the team will take over the debrief themselves.

THE STATEMENTS:

Although this exercise can be used for any topic the team needs, here are some statements specifically designed around conflict conversations:

Conflict Awareness in Teams:
    A. Conflict helps our team be higher performing.
    B. We almost never have conflict at work.
    C. When conflicts do happen at work, someone always knows what to do.
    D. I am awesome when it comes to dealing with conflict at work.
    E. Our team is way above average when it comes to working through conflicts.
    F. Conflict is just a fact of life.
    G. In the teams I have worked on in the past, I have always felt safe expressing my ideas openly.
    H. I have no unresolved conflicts in my work life.

Conflict Modes and Styles:
    A. I know exactly where I learned my conflict style.
    B. Most of the time, I’m good at knowing why someone else is acting the way they are acting.
    C. I love how I work through conflicts.
    D. When it comes to conflict, I am the same person at work as I am at home.
    E. If I had to choose one phrase that fits my behavior when I’m in conflict with someone, it would be, “bring it on!”
    F. I believe that the deeper the conflict goes the more I am going to learn from it.

Hooks and Triggers:
    A. I can see conflict coming from a mile away.
    B. When I get hooked/triggered, I never let it show.
    C. I get over negative conflict feelings really fast.
    D. As a team leader, I understand what “sets-off” most of my employees.
    E. I understand why others I work with get hooked.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Continuum discussion starters are a great tool.
    Thank you, Mark.
    Naomi Garcia

Anonymous
    Inactive

I do a lot of continuum activities and was planning to do it with the new teams at the Business School session I’m leading in August. I’ll post those questions to this thread as they are related to behavioral defaults, communication styles, and decision making. Thank you for sharing!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Shopping Cart